Thursday, July 20, 2006

Cool Drink for a Hot, Hot Day

The image “http://www.foodmall.org/images/frappucino.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

For those of you who don't know, I love coffee. My husband worked at Starbucks for awhile and I was in coffee heaven! :) I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning; it's my wake-up juice. I'll even drink it on a hot day like today (107 degrees to be exact) and I was perspiring ur, I mean, glowing. However, having a frozen coffee drink is so much more refreshing. So here is a recipe for all those coffee drinkers out there that are too hot to drink it today:


(Recipe and kitchen tip are taken from Miserly Meals by Jonni McCoy)

COFFEECCINO

1 1/2 cups cold coffee (decaf or regular)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. Chocolate Syrup
1/4 tsp. vanilla
3 cups ice cubes

Place all of the ingredients in a blender. Cover and blend on high speed until the ice is crushed and the mixture is smooth. Pour into tall glasses and enjoy!

Variations: Add 2 T. caramel ice cream topping to the drink before blending, and/or top with whipped cream before serving.

Cost per serving (1 1/3 cups): $.08 [Better price than Starbucks, eh?]

Kitchen Tip
If you make EXTRA COFFEE, don't throw it away; keep it fo another recipe. You can refrigerate coffee in a covered jar for one month or freeze it for up to six months. Freeze it in a plastic container or in ice cube trays for easy use.

16 comments:

Bttrfly1976 said...

That picture almost makes me wish I liked coffee, almost. It is sooooooo HOT. I step out of my truck and immediately feel smothered in the heat. I drove by a sign today that said it was 116 degrees. I think that was probably a slight exaggeration, but not by much.

zephyrsbound said...

Yum!!! I wouldn't be able to function in the morning without my joe. And, yes, I drink it hot too...even in this weather! The Russians say if you drink something hot when it is hot outside it will have a cooling effect. I don't think I believe them, but I'll still take it hot anytime.

heartsjoy said...

Yuuummmmyyy!!! That looks so good! I think I will have to try that recipe! Thanks for passing on that miserly mom recipe that is so cost effective! :)

joyfuljourney said...

I'm drinking my 2nd cup this morning while reading your post. YUM!

A few weeks ago I got the Miserly Mom books (3) and really like them. I've made several meals out of the Miserly Meals book. Great resources.

Don't you wish we could all gather at Starbucks and hang out a while -even if it is 107? It would be so good to talk to all my blog buddies in person!

LiteratureLover said...

Joyful Journey - Meeting at Starbucks sounds like my kind of fun!

janiners said...

looks and sounds yummy, girl! i've been reading the miserly mom book and will probably get the meals one as well. she had a lot of great ideas and I can't wait to implement them into our family life! i think i'll enjoy being able to spend time cooking a little more than i do now. :-)

starbucks does sound good - one of my favorite places! but saving money sounds even better! thanks for sharing the recipe with us! staying cool for one more day, janiners

soulreavers said...

hey zephyr, does the reciprocal work too? On a cold day drink something cold to warm you up? ;)

Bttrfly1976 said...

I find myself coming here just to listen to that song now. You usually take them off so fast that I had already bookmarked the video, but since you haven't removed it yet, I am going to keep on using your blog for it. ;-)

LiteratureLover said...

Bttrfly - I love it so much I haven't wanted to take it off. So enjoy! :)

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

From one coffee lover to another: YUM-O!!

Jill said...

Oh, well, I'll just have to go straight to my kitchen and save that extra bit of coffee in my pot from this mornings daily dose and get it ready for this recipe! That is wonderful! I'm excited to try that! We just got a drive-thru Starbucks about 10 minutes away from me....there goes my budget!!!!!

joyfuljourney said...

Clemntine - I wish Starbucks were only 10 minutes away! The closest one is 75 miles away! This recipe will be a lifesaver for me!

Jill said...

Just tried the coffee recipe.... YUM!!!! I confess I added a bit more chocolate, though. :)

Dianne said...

Yum-o, as Rachael Ray would say. I'm bookmarking this one. I love frozen coffee drinks but hate the price of them. Thanks for the tip.

Starbucks junkie.

Bttrfly1976 said...

my....I mean your video broke. :(

Tammie said...

Thanks, as I sip down a hot cup on a hot afternoon in Texas. Shoot, it's almost gone now, but I'll catch it next time.