Saturday, October 07, 2006

Old Dog; New Tricks

We have an older dog that some friends gave us several months ago. My children absolutely love her and I find myself enjoying her too. The fact that I actually like her is no small miracle, just ask anyone in my family. The most hated chore around here is having to scoop poop. The kids have to do it and with a big dog comes big--- well, you know. I have contemplated this for awhile and decided that I want her to learn to poop in our side yard. No one ever goes there except Hubby when he's mowing. I figure if it's all together it will be easier to gather and if we have young children over they will not be stepping in it while playing in the main yard.

So today I put her on a leash every time she went out and took her to the side yard. She was very excited at first thinking we were going for a walk. But as the day wore on she was not so thrilled with the leash. After a long morning of trying to get her to go, she finally peed in the right area. I had treats ready! The rest of the day she continued to pee there but was still not going number two. Somewhere late in the evening, she finally gave in and pooped in the proper place. Yippee!! I guess you really can teach an old dog new tricks. Or perhaps we just have an unbelieveably brilliant dog. :)

4 comments:

Bttrfly1976 said...

lol, I feel for you. I so can't do the dog thing. I tried. I even made it about a month with one once, but I just can't stick it out. I don't have the staying power to deal with them not learning thier new tricks. Congratulations on your training!

heartsjoy said...

Good job on the training, you smart girl you! and smart dog too!

zephyrsbound said...

I am glad to hear that you have been "bonding" with your dog. I am also glad to hear that she is getting to your heart.

LauraAnne said...

we're finally at the point to get a choke collar for Maddie...laura just gets jerked around to much by her. Bunny, too, if she sees a squirrell...but they're such good dogs, travelling the way they do all over, staying in one hotel room after another. they really deserve a yard, the sweeties.

ps--laura's made a new post!