Sunday, February 04, 2007

It's been awhile...

Well, it's been awhile. I swear, I have great intentions. But then you can't really read them, huh? Lately I've been writing a lot (just not in the blogosphere).

Can I just say how much I love to write? Man! I love it. Stories pop in my head like a movie and sometimes I can hardly type fast enough to get them down. I told one friend about a story I'd been working on and she asked to see it.

"Ummm, no." After all, it's only a rough draft. I haven't even edited it. No one, outside of family, has ever read my stories. Articles yes, but not my babies, my stories. It's not finished. It's not perfect.

She persisted.

I felt fear take hold of me. What if she read it and thought it was completely corny? What if she hated it, but didn't want to hurt my feelings? She promised that she would be honest.

I sent her the story.

I spent the entire next day on pins and needles. I asked myself why it mattered so much to me. After all, it's only one person's opinion. But there was that nagging fear that if she hated it, then what I've always feared inside would be true: I am not a writer.

Okay, I know that sounds silly because, if you write, you're a writer. So maybe what I mean is that I would not be a good writer.

She called me late that afternoon. She said, "I'm calling about your story. Here is my humble opinion," (Humble opinion? Oh no, she's trying to diminish her opinion because she hated it!)

"Yes?" I said.

"I loved it! I only got halfway through and I can't wait to read the rest."

What?!!! Oh my gosh, she read it and actually liked it! Yippee!!!!!! I cannot tell you how high that made me. I don't think there is a drug in the universe that could have given me that kind of upper.

Now, does that mean that I am a great writer? No. But, the fact that there could be people out there who enjoy my stories, means that somehow in the world I am understood.

They get me.

It's good to be got.

6 comments:

Bttrfly1976 said...

It is good to be gotten. And congratulations on the approval, I bet it is a GREAT story. I almost laughed as I read your honesty about your insecurity. Not at all because that is funny, but because I totally relate. It's astounding how much we allow one person's opinion to matter...then the next person's and the next. I get you, at least as far as I know you, I get you, probably because you get me.

LiteratureLover said...

I would consider us co-gotten. :)

Bttrfly1976 said...

lol, I like that word and I concur!

heartsjoy said...

ROFL....co-gotten!! You guys are the cutest!!! And even though I cannot relate to your writings and infinite questions I love you both infinitely and love who your are and love the way God created you! BTW, even though I am only family...it is an awesome story and I love your thoughts!

LiteratureLover said...

I look forward to hearing more of your story (when you get the chance to write more). I wish you had more time for it but I guess that time is coming. :) Love you.

LiteratureLover said...

Daddyman, I SO know what you mean about the overediting.