Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Shall I Not Drink It?

When Peter sees that Judas has a whole army of people ready to take Jesus, he makes a sad attempt of fighting by cutting off the ear of the servant of the High Priest. Jesus puts the ear back on and heals the man. Then he turns to Peter.

"But Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword back into its sheath. Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me?"

Wow. He had someone ready to fight to keep him from hurting and he stopped them. Then he even rebukes Peter with the fact that if God wants him to drink this cup of suffering, should he not do it? I whine about the littlest thing. I've not been asked to die a horrible death (yet). But I fight and cry at each little suffering that is handed to me. This morning as I read this, it humbled me and gave me courage. I would like a heart that's ready to say, "Shall I not drink it?"

7 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

:)

I like how you said that the mountain shows beauty but not growth.

zephyrsbound said...

I found the same sort of wisdom as I read Hebrews 11:32-12:13 last night. As you know, I have had a rough summer and school year, and often I cry out "why?!". I think I found my answer..."We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus...think about all he endured when sinful people did such terrible things to him, so that you don't become weary and give up..." Heb. 12:2-3. When I get bogged down in what I think is suffering, I need to look up and remember His and what that means for me.

Shayne said...

Ouch.

LiteratureLover said...

Zeph - Good words.

Shayne - yeah, I agree.

heartsjoy said...

Wow. That is powerful and convicting....thanks for sharing, I needed to hear it!

heartsjoy said...

Wow. That is powerful and convicting....thanks for sharing, I needed to hear it!

Bttrfly1976 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!