Thursday, May 04, 2006

Confused

Last night our elderly neighbor lady came to our door wondering about her girls. She doesn't have any girls so I tried to clarify with her who she was talking about. She said it was her neice and nephew that she was watching. I asked her a few more questions and could tell she was confused. She talked to my kids sweetly as she always does and then told me if I saw the girls to have them come home.

Having a step-father-in-law with Alzheimers, I was worried about her so I watched her walk back to her house and go inside. I began to wonder if her husband was at home and since I didn't want her wandering off I went over to check.

Her husband answered the door. I told him what had happened and that I wanted to be sure everything was okay. He didn't even realize she'd left the house. Then he told me that she was confused. They had recieved pictures of their granddaughters that day and for some reason she had it in her head that they were actually there. He asked me to come inside and talk with her awhile and reassure her that there were no extra children at my house. So I came in and visited.

I hate that I had no clue that she was going through this. I'm not sure how long they've known she was ill. Having watched my Mother-in-Law tend her husband, I know that the caretaker gets very little rest. It's tiring to have someone constantly asking the same questions over and over. Plus the person with Alzheimers usually doesn't sleep well. Because of that it can be truly difficult for the caretaker to sleep restfully because they are worried their loved one will wander off. It's also difficult when the Alzheimer's patient gets something in their head that is not true but they believe it to be true. They are not easily convinced of the real truth. I am sorry for this sweet couple. They are precious people and I had wondered why I hadn't seen them out lately. I wish I would've checked on them earlier.

I'm hoping to be able to "sit" with her so he can have some time to himself. Or maybe just visit so he can talk with someone else. Pray for them. Pray for me to know how to minister to them.

4 comments:

Tammy M. said...

My grandmother tended to my great-grandmother with alzheimers for 10 years. It wore my grandmother down, and her health suffered greatly due to lack of taking care of herself.
My grandmother's sister also had alzheimers and the best part of her illness was when you walked into her room, even after already spending much of the day with her, she was over the top thrilled to see you for the first time in a long time. It was like a continual party when we spent time with her. As we were just visitors we got to see the upside alot more than the really hard times.

SuperMom said...

Oh, girl, I am so sorry to hear that. I will pray for them and for you. Let me know if I can help in any way.

thebarefootpoet said...

I will pray for them, and though I will pray for you to, I don't know if you need me to pray for how to minister to them. You've already ministered in a powerful way, you took the time to sit, to be present, to reassure, and to let the caregiver breathe. Do that some more, and let the Holy Spirit prompt your heart for what this precious couple needs.

heartsjoy said...

Ohhhh, that was so sensitive of you to watch and double check. I think it is great that you relate to so much of it and want to help out. I agree with BFP, sounds like you already started ministering to them. :)