Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The journey is the destination

The other night, Hubby brought home a movie for me to watch about the children in Uganda. To keep from being abducted and forced into the rebel army, thousands of children leave their villages every evening to walk to the city and sleep because there is more protection for them there. Thousands of children are crammed together on the floor of something like a garage parking lot without an adult in sight. Yet, these amazing children do their homework by candlelight and then fall asleep. They get up before dawn to start their journey back to the villages. They laugh. They dance and sing praising God because they made it another night without being captured.

I'll be honest, the night after I watched this movie I couldn't sleep very well. Here I worry about not having enough money to give my daughter an American Girl Birthday party or that two of my children actually have to share a room. I felt ashamed. It's continued to haunt me. I wish I could take those children and bring them into my house to be safe and have soft carpet to sleep on. It has definitely put things into perspective for me.

Please check out the Invisible Children website. I also recommend another great book on this subject is The Journey Is the Destination. It's the journal of a young photojournalist, Dan Eldon, who also wanted to bring the world's attention to the problems in Africa. He was killed while doing it and his mother published his journal.

7 comments:

SuperMom said...

If we ever stop being bothered by these things, then we are really in trouble. I had one of those days yesterday where I felt discontented with everything. Things like this serve as a reminder to me that my life is a cake walk, and my children have it so good.

I wonder if the children of Uganda understand their situation or if it is just a part of life to them.

Sarah said...

The Invisible Children video has made the rounds at churches and colleges in my town. I have chosen not to see it -- I guess b/c I don't want to be haunted and feel completely helpless! Isn't that horrible of me? I simply can't imagine -- and, you're right, it brings our lives and our children's lives into perspective.

heartsjoy said...

Wow. This sounds convicting. I haven't looked at the sites yet but I will. Thanks for the jolt.

Bttrfly1976 said...

*ouch* How easily I forget how blessed I am. I go out and waste money on whatever whim I have at the time and while doing so, not only forget where I came from but how very many are still there, and far worse for that matter. I went to that link and learned that Americans own one half of all the worlds wealth. WOW! How quickly we forget and how easily we complain. I am going to have to order that video as my interest, though I am not sure that is the best word, has been piqued. I suppose I should realize when my niece doesn't want "that dress" because the polo pony isn't on it, that I am creating monsters. We get so tied up in our consumer driven world....I guess I should say I....and we drag the kids right in there with us. How heart wrenching to know how so many suffer so greatly and still have the courage and the faith to lift their voices, and their lives, to God. I have a bad day at work and want to throw a temper tantrum. I can't begin to fathom the depth of character and strength those children, and so many like them in other war-filled and poverty stricken countries must possess. Oh to have the faith of a child.

Bttrfly1976 said...

and sorry I write a whole book every time I comment on your blogs, but you make my brain start churning.....:o)

LiteratureLover said...

Supermom - the children in Uganda DO understand their situation. The number one thing they wanted from the boys that filmed them was to not be forgotten.

Sarah - I know what you mean by not wanting to see a film if it's only going to depress you and you can't help. However, they are very good at showing how you can help and what has been done because of people helping.

Heartsjoy - DO look at the sites. It's inspiring!

bttrfly1976 - I like your books, keep 'em coming. You have incredible wisdom.

Rebecca said...

My mom and dad visited Gulu and several other cities in Uganda last summer with a woman who used to run an orphanage in Ginja. Ever since then, they can't spend $20 without thinking about how they could be feeding and educating another child with that money, and they're already sponsoring several. It's a dark place. They've partnered with a Ugandan pastor named Paul, who takes in orphans and trains children's workers to travel and connect with these children and meet their needs. It's such an overwhelming task.