Saturday, June 24, 2006

Because of You

Well, it seems like I am blogging only once a week now. That may have to be my schedule for awhile. I seem to be struggling to get to the computer lately. My house is calling; my kids are calling; nature is calling; you get the point. But I guess I'll be happy with one blog a week. My sister was visiting this week and we had the greatest time! We always do. :)

She introduced me to this video. The song has been on my mind a lot. It is funny how people can shape who you are even what you're afraid of. When I hear this song, I think of people in my past, boyfriends, friends, family and enemies that shaped so much of who I am. I wish I could say that they didn't shape me, but that I shaped myself. That wouldn't be honest. The older I get the more I recognize what IS me and what is NOT me. That's good I guess. But then I watch my kids and I wonder what will shape them. Even though I had a wonderful childhood, I still had my share of heartbreak and betrayal. I'm sure that all of us could sing this song to someone in our lives.

I once had the opportunity to confront someone who'd really hurt me. He was truly repentant and broken when I approached. It made it a little easier to forgive. To move on. That doesn't always happen, I know. And there is something in me that loves anger. I like the thrill of that feeling for a time. However, I can't stay there or I become bitter. I've learned the blame game is no game at all. It's a trap.

So, while I love this song, I have to pull back from it in the same moment. My fears might have been because of someone else in the past. But now, it's because of me. Maybe I am who I'm singing to after all.

7 comments:

Bttrfly1976 said...

I love that song. The video brings me near tears every time I watch it. It is so profound the things we learn, unknowingly, that stay with us forever. In the chorus of that song alone...avoiding risk, avoiding confrontation, denial, inability to trust, fear in general....such a 'real' song. I think my favorite line in the song is "I can not cry because I know that's weakness in your eyes." Terrifies me to think of the things that will shape my nieces and nephews. I would give you words of wisdom on the subject, but I got nothin'.

thebarefootpoet said...

Wow, that video explores some really powerful stuff. We likely never grasp the degree to which our broken promises, harsh words, and even just busy ignoring harms those who trust and love us. It also explores how we are shaped, as you posted about. I think your honest in commenting about how not only is there someone/someones we could sing this too, but the ability to recognize ourselves in it and sing to ourselves is powerful and very thought provoking. Great post, girl, this will be fuel for refletion for me.

LauraAnne said...

you know, when i first heard the song, i thought it was just another stupid breakup song, but then laura saw the video and told me about it and the entire meaning of the song changed for us. its a great album...laura really likes Where Is Your Heart. maybe i'll encourage her to make a post on that song...JM

SuperMom said...

THAT is why I love Kelly Clarkson!! She evokes such emotion. When she sings it's not just a show, but she puts her heart and soul into it.

One of my favorite songs and I love the video.

Great thoughts. When are you going to sing it at Rivendell?

Jill said...

Wow, I hadn't seen the video yet. That makes a difference. Goodness. It's just so much to take in how we as parents effect who our children become. Wow. Reflection time.... :)

heartsjoy said...

We had So much fun!! THANK YOU!! I love getting to share with you anything but especially music/videos!! This one is so powerful and I love your insight on it possibly being yourself. That is good thoughts. I loved the song and felt it but also found myself wanting the resolve in there...forgiveness. Others interpreted her breaking the cycle through the video.

Tammie said...

Penetrating...especially the part where the father overturns the coffee table. My dad cleared the table with his arm a couple of times. This video stirs up something in me that I wish would just stay settled. And then I run to my Heavenly Daddy and crawl in His lap and He settles it for me.