Monday, June 05, 2006

Writing Again

In 1992, I completed a course, from the Institute of Children's Literature, on writing for children and teenagers that I really enjoyed. I wrote off and on from that point on, mostly for children and pre-adolescents. When my children were born, I found myself having to fit it in sporadically, and several years it was just non-exsistent. I have recently decided to seriously pursue it again.

I made it my goal to write something, articles or stories, everyday for fifteen minutes. I have to start small, you see. Sometimes those fifteen minutes turn into thirty minutes without even glancing at the clock. Other times it's all I can do to fill up the fifteen minutes. Odd how that works.

It feels like a treasure box has been opened that I've kept closed for awhile. It's thrilling, exciting and terrifying. The Writers Market book for 2007 comes out in July, so I'm anxiously awaiting it. In case you don't know what that is, it's a book that gives the names of publishing houses and editors to send your work to and what their requirements are. I want to have several pieces ready to send off by the time it arrives.

3 comments:

SuperMom said...

YEA!!!

Keep it up!! I'm anxious to see what you crank out :-)

So proud of you...

ste-pha-nie said...

Early mornings. Before anyone else has gotten up. Dawn is such a magical time... take the notebook or laptop outside and write while the sun rises.

joyfuljourney said...

Why do we let our lives get filled with so many things that we end up neglecting our creativity? It seems that when Hubby and I find ourselves frustrated and discontent, we realize we haven't been writing, scrapbooking, etc. We haven't been using our God-given talents - expressing ourselves creatively. I often put off sewing or scrapbooking because there's too much to do around the house. As if making pillows for my couch or documenting our family story isn't important too.

I often neglect other people's creativity as well. When was the last time I listened to some new music? Read a book that wasn't about home management or child development? When was the last time I checked out a book of Renoir's works or gardening at the library - instead of another book about baking bread? Ha Ha!

Good for you LL! You have inspired me. Please keep us posted!