Saturday, June 17, 2006

I'm Baaaack!

We had such a great vacation. My kids absolutely loved flying! They were so cute to watch during take-off. Their faces were all excited like going down a hill of a roller coaster. Even turbulence was fun for them. Our first plane ride was a great experience. The stewardess brought a basket FULL of different snacks and encouraged everyone to have as many as they liked. My kids took full advantage! L

Our second day there, we camped out around the Grand Canyon. Camping out was fun which is a huge thing for a city girl like myself. The friends we were staying with, fixed incredible meals! It didn't taste like camp food.

We decided to go for a hike through the Grand Canyon. It was such an awesome sight. But the closer we got to the outlook spot, the higher my fear began to rise. There were no bars or fences to keep you from falling. So I was a nervous wreck about my kids. Husband held tight to the hands of our two little ones. My eldest daughter was busy snapping photos of everything and I had to keep reminding her to stay in the middle of the path.

As we reached the lookout point, there was a small bridge that you had to cross which DID have a railing but it was still fairly open. On the other side was the lookout point that had the same kind of railing and it jetted out so you could see the whole canyon. At that point my fear took full hold. I can say that I don't think I've ever been terrified like that before. I was hugging the rocks on the inside of the trail and praying my heart out while my kids and Husband crossed the bridge. I couldn't even bring myself to cross with them or even hardly move! I think I understand now why people fall to the ground when they see God. I got a small taste of the awesomeness. And now I know that I have a fear of heights. I was probably the quickest walker on the hike back down!

We went on lots of hikes which was fun and good for me to be walking. My kids did so great and they had fun being at one with nature. We were so busy going and doing that we hardly had time for anything else. I finally decided to forgo a hike and stayed behind. I walked around until I found a perfect place to sit. I sat in a beautiful spot by a roaring river to sketch, write and read. It was two hours of bliss!

Well, that is the quick version of my vacation. You may get to hear more later on. It was fun to get away. But it's been fun to be back. I'm such a homebody! L

10 comments:

janiners said...

so glad you're back and I completely understand the homebody thing. It's always nice to go away so you can more fully appreciate coming back home.

what a picture of the awesomeness of God you found in the midst of experiencing the beauty of the Grand Canyon! and two hours of sketching, writing, and reading in the midst of such beauty - ahhhh how nice!

soulreavers said...

alright, you just made me jealous. I would KILL to be able to camp out at the Grand Canyon and hike it. My family stopped there once on one of our furloughs, for about three hours. Just enough time to walk from the parking lot, to the lookout, take some pics, and walk back. We had to be in Flagstaff that night. Oh well, that hazy, distorted memory will just have to do until I can road trip out there sometime in the future. Glad you all made it back in one peace.

Sarah said...

My family is going to Colorado soon where I STAY a nervous wreck because of the heights and the children in proximity to the heights! I will pray that this time I won't miss the beauty for being such a mess!

Isn't it always great to be home?

LiteratureLover said...

Janiners - Thanks. It was nice!

Soulreavers - I can see you LOVING it. You'd probably be one of those people that would act like he's falling off just to scare people like me! L

Sarah - I feel your pain and I hope you can relax! For me, home is the best spot on earth. :)

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Well, despite your fears, it sounds awesome. I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon. Glad you're back safe and sound!! :)

Bttrfly1976 said...

I'm glad you had such a great vacation. The Grand Canyon is astoundingly beautiful. I don't know that I will ever see something else that could compare with it. I totally relate with the fear thing. Some of our pictures where taken so close to the edge that one step back we would have been over. We went to the bookstore and as odd as it sounds, they actually have a book that recounts the stories of all the people who have lost thier lives there over the years. Very scary, but I am so thankful I got to see it. Glad you all are home safe!

Ruth said...

Hey L.L.!
I don't post nearly often enough...but I sure have missed you! LOL!!! How's that for stalking the blogs...seriously...I so enjoy your blog and am glad that your back and that you all had such a wonderful time! By the way...I don't think I posted on this before...but..totally loved the kids mudcakes you pictured a bit before...WAY COOL!
Ruth

Ruth said...

Hey L.L.!
I don't post nearly often enough...but I sure have missed you! LOL!!! How's that for stalking the blogs...seriously...I so enjoy your blog and am glad that your back and that you all had such a wonderful time! By the way...I don't think I posted on this before...but..totally loved the kids mudcakes you pictured a bit before...WAY COOL!
Ruth

soulreavers said...

L.L. you are correct. I would act like I was falling to scare people like you. Of course, because of the way I am (I hurt myself every time I do something like that) I would probably accidentally nearly through myself over for real.

LiteratureLover said...

Michelle - Thank you, it's good to be back.

Butterfly - I actually saw that same book and was tempted to buy it but then decided that would NOT help me. You were brave getting so close to the edge. Yikes!

Visiongirl - I enjoy it whenever you comment. I love those mudpie pictures too. I need to post stuff like that more often.

Soulreavers - Laughing. Know this: I will never go with you to a place of heights!