Monday, August 14, 2006

Justice

I read through the whole book of Habbakuk this week. It made me think quite a lot. The thing that started to dawn on me was that suffering and violence is not new. Okay, I know that's elementary. But I mean, that in Bible times it was not uncommon to wipe out complete groups of people. In fact, that would be the goal. God even directed it at times. Well, He's soverign so I guess that means He always directs it. But, I won't tackle that subject today.

As I've said before, I have struggled with recent annilations, like the Holocaust, Cambodia, Rwanda and others. Reading through Scripture, there is always a reason for these horrible moments. It seems to be discipline at times, blood for blood type of thing. At other times, it happens for the sake of freedom, letting the slaved ones go free and having to kill to make that happen. Okay, I'm no theologian. I cannot expound too much; there may be countless reasons. I'm just saying what I've gleaned.

So, perhaps these recent times should not be so surprising. Even in Habbakuk when God explains how the Babylonians are going to overcome them and destroy them; Habbakuk questions why there is no judgement on the Babylonians. God explains that their day is coming for punishment in all that they have done.

So there is a reason in all the madness. It just may not always be clear to me. But Habbakuk impresses me with his faithfulness. He continues to understand the awesomeness of God in the midst of knowing such horrible news. He praises Him and recognizes that He is God and the one to make the decisions. I'm amazed. I would have been arguing or whining! "But God...How come? That's not fair!"

In our "get-everything-we-want-when-we-want-it" society, I think it's incredibly hard to grasp why anything bad should have to happen to us. Isn't it our "right" to be okay? However, on the flip side, if unjustice has been done to me then I want violence! If someone ever hurt my kids, I would them to pay to the fullest extent. Perhaps that's the side in God's thinking that I don't ever see.

4 comments:

Bttrfly1976 said...

I want to comment on this, but I know, after just having read it, that I will say what first comes to mind. Then, later, when I come back and read it I will think, well that was a dumb thing to say. Anyway, point to the story, I think I'll spend my day trying to decipher what I really believe about God and His violence/mercy and justice/injustice. The whole "that's not fair" scenario, then I'll come back later and let you know if it got me anywhere. Aren't you called I typed a paragraph to tell you I wasn't commenting. ;)

Bttrfly1976 said...

when I say called, I totally mean glad, my phone just happened to be ringing at the time. :)

LiteratureLover said...

Laughing. I knew what you meant. ;)

Bttrfly1976 said...

Have I ever mentioned how sometimes I just confuse myself more and more? My first thought was that you were right in your desire to take vengeance when someone hurts your child, that is what God does. Then I thought, is that real or is that what I have been taught. But as I read through some verses dealing with God and his justice or His vengeance, honestly, it just seems extremely random.
At times He takes vengeance on the enemies of His children for wrongs done, sometimes He takes it out on His own children for their disobedience, sometimes it is just because someone didn't do something the way God wanted. It seems He is big on vengeance, and it doesn't matter much on whom it is being exacted. I know that isn't true, probably, but the randomness sure seems to be a universal theme throughout the Old Testament.
I guess I am confused at how often the forgiving and merciful God is quick to dole out retribution. I am sure I am making light of it, perhaps if I really did an in depth study of the OT, I would see it differently.
It does leave me wondering when it is supposed to be appropriate for vengeance versus the appropriate time for grace and mercy. I am absolutely non-absolute on this, aren't I???