Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I didn't MAKE this mess!!

Today I woke up raring to go. I got myself ready, and started off my day with To-Do list in hand. First on the list was cleaning out Little Lady and Little Mister's room and to get Little Miss cleaning her own room (being that she's older and doesn't need as much help). Lady and Mister's room was one HUGE mess. I had not been checking it so I hadn't thought it would be too bad. First mistake. You know what they say about assuming?

Well, it started off fine. They were happy I was in there. They like it when I help them get things back in order. However, by lunch time they were begging for a break. I gave them a lunch break and then started cracking the whip again. I began to notice that every time I stepped out of the room to put something away or to get a cleaning tool, Little Lady would whine that I wasn't helping. Then she was whining that I was cleaning more of the other siblings things. Eventually they were all whining. "We've worked ALL DAY." "Why do we have to do this?" "Yeah, why don't we get a break?" "Why aren't you helping me?" "How come WE have to put it all away?"

Grrr! I was sweating. I was tired. I had HAD it. "Why?" I said. "You want to know why YOU have to do it?"

They all sat anxiously awaiting my explaination.

"Because YOU MADE THE MESS!!!!"

Needless to say, breaktime didn't come around again for awhile. Except for me. I took a good, long water break.

9 comments:

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Oh have I been there!

Bttrfly1976 said...

I shouldn't laugh because that isn't funny, but it made me laugh just the same. Luckily the children that play here know that if they don't clean up the mess then I won't let them come back.( really I would, I am a sucker, but they don't have to know that!)

janiners said...

i am with ya, girlie! having more people in the house to make messes has been a challenge for me, but I don't hesitate to get them involved since it is as much their home as it is Jerry and I's.

you always seem to handle these situations well, though, girl. I'm sure everything looks great now.

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

I pick up after my family every night at 8:00pm sharp.

I go through the house with a UHaul box (size medium) and put in it everything that is not in its proper place. We have a name for that box. It's called The Redemption Box.

In order to claim anything from the Redemption Box, its owner must complete an extra household duty. Whatever hasn't been "redeemed" by the last day of the month gets taken to Goodwill. Over the years, we've given away some really neat stuff. It has kept the clutter under control.

You want to see some urchins scramble? Look in our window at 7:45pm any night of the week!

:~D

LiteratureLover said...

Clemntine, I LOVE that idea! Do you do it in their rooms too?

SuperMom said...

Those comments sound so familiar. Are you sure you weren't at my house when you heard those words?

heartsjoy said...

LOL!! "Because You Made the Mess!!" too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

LiteratureLover,

I go through the WHOLE HOUSE. I even walk in the backyard. We do have a place for everything here, so I imagine that anything that's not put away must not be that important.

;~D

LiteratureLover said...

Clemntine, EVERYTHING has its place? Could you come live with me? :)