Saturday, April 01, 2006

Hospitality

I've been thinking about Hospitality a lot lately. Now that Flylady has entered my life, my home is not in the chaos it once was. So, I should be free to ask people over, right? Then why don't I? I LOVE getting together with my girlfriends for a Girls Night Out. I enjoy getting to know new people. So why don't I invite them over more often? Am I frozen again by that dreaded word, fear? Please! Haven't I learned that lesson already?! Why can't I just reach out and ask?

The answer: I don't know. I've been mulling it over in my mind so much these last few days that I'm wondering if it's conviction. Of course, I know that there are those times when I'm exhausted that I don't want to be around anyone; I just want to be alone! But that's not okay for every night. I could at least set aside one night a week to merge into someone else's life, couldn't I? Isn't that Biblical? I re-read a blog from This One's For the Girls that inspired me. And yet, I am still sitting here and not calling anyone to set a date. My procrastination is bugging me. I know that half of doing it is simply planning it. So maybe I just need to get my calendar out and go for it! Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

6 comments:

SuperMom said...

Don't overthink it. Don't try to make it too much of a production. Just extend the invitation and make it simple. Even if it's takeout. I've made the mistake many times of inviting people over and putting so much work into it that I don't even get to visit. I think people just want to connect, whether it's over steak or bologna. I think setting aside one night a week is a great idea. I'd like to work toward that as well. But you and I are probably kind of in the same boat. Our husbands aren't home a lot in the evenings to invite over couples and when they are home we want them all to ourselves!!

Sarah said...

Supermom is, as usual, right on so many accounts -- people LOVE being thought of for an invitation, and aren't particularly picky about what's served, etc. Yes, it's biblical, too. There was a VERY brief time in my life when I would have people over 2 nights in a row -- the house was clean, let's keep going! That wore on my family, though. So pick a night and a main dish that will go well with a green salad. I also like to have over a family with children my kids' age (so that they can play) and an older couple with no kids at home at the same time. Too many kids stresses me out, it gives us all an opportunity to visit with people we may not usually, and I've had _2_ families over on one night! :-) That way I have one family bring a green salad and another family bring a dessert. And we're done! Just jump in there!

heartsjoy said...

Don't overthink it. That is very good to hear. I agree with above ideas. I think it is so great that you have come to the point of being ready to take this step!! I know it is a big step for you.So, since you are a list maker maybe picking one night a week would be good and making a list of people you would like to ask over as well as their numbers. Then call...Tadaaa! And just for the record, when I was at your house I thought you were the bestest of hostessess!! You made time for me, yummy meals, sat and visited! You do a great job already! I know they will be thrilled to get the invite!

LiteratureLover said...

Thanks guys. You've given me great ideas!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Sorry-- I'm tired and my first comment just had way too many typos.

Thanks for the link to me. After the week I've had with Anthony Bradley, it was nice to feel affirmed again. :)

I agree with Poppa. Once a week seems like too much. We shoot for once every other week. Maybe you should start out trying for every 3 weeks or every 4 weeks.

I think I am picking up on something about you (that I didn't realize before I started reading your blog on a daily basis): you sound like you are the kind of person who gets her batteries recharged by ALONE time. (Spencer is this way too. There are sometimes when he says, "I need it to be JUST OUR FAMILY for the whole weekend, so that I'll have something left to give to people.") If that's true, you just need to realize that about yourself and plug ahead at the pace that works for you.

The people that I get the most excited about having over are the ones I'm really trying to net into relationship. (People who seem like they're having trouble connecting into the body.)