Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Outing

Yesterday I thought we had an orthodonist appointment at 1:00. We took off but when we arrived there we noticed that there was a significant absence of cars, as in, none. I walked up to the door but it was locked and dark inside. I went back to the car to check my calendar only to realize that the appointment is NEXT week. Oh well, at least we didn't miss it. So off we went to buy The Chronicles of Narnia DVD.

Our favorite Thrift shop was on the way so we decided to stop. The kids ran to the toy section while I began browsing the clothes. As I looked through the clothes, I heard the woman working at the register talking on the phone to someone. She was getting angrier as she spoke and louder at that. Finally, the woman was so upset that she slammed down the phone. She turned my way as if embarassed that I might have heard something. I kept myself busy but I hurt for her. She quickly called someone else who seemed to console her and I was glad. I wondered what my role was in that moment. She seemed to overt her eyes from me from that point on. Maybe she was embarassed.

When we checked out she chit-chatted with me and I smiled at her. I hoped that it might brighten her day a bit. I wondered what more I could do. Should I outright ask if she's okay? She wasn't the lady that is normally in the store so I hadn't built a relationship yet. But does that matter? I walked out having just left a smile. I hope that was enough.

4 comments:

thebarefootpoet said...

I'm pretty sure there's no exactly right answer here, but I had some thoughts hit my mind. When our heart is hurting for someone based on what we've seen or heard, I think there's something to being available. My guess is your smile and your warmth said to her "I'm available to listen". I know there are times when completele strangers pour out their lives to you, and there are other times when the Spirit in you strongly compels you to respond in a specific way. I think alot of the time we just have a concern and a reaction that says "I care, you matter". Most people would not open up to strangers, but those smiles we leave behind probably are more effective than we think.

joyphil413 said...

It must run in the family... LOL... I met your mom at a thrift store in S'dle about a month ago and she was very concerned about the lady at the counter too... She had the same experience... She didn't know if she should say something or not... It is funny how God will put us in these situations and when we aren't sure, we sure can lift them up and pray that God would reveal life and love to them... I think it odd or GOD doing the same thing to both of you thrift store within month of each other... May we see the Light in the darkness and shine it with a smile and and like the song says "all around the neighborhood I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine" I see you shining all the way over here!!!

ste-pha-nie said...

When you follow your instincts things usually go the way they were meant to go. Here's what I think; you had your children with you so you hesitated from "offering" more than a smile, knowing the conversation that 'might have' followed would have made it difficult for you be there 100% for this 'stranger' if your kids became impatient or needed your attention. I have a feeling you left wanting to have offered more, but in reality a smile was the most you had. And since you gave her the most you could, I am sure she felt it all the way to her heart.

SuperMom said...

I hate those moments that feel like we may have missed an opportunity. But isn't interesting that you got out by accident? I'm in agreement with everyone else. I think your warmth probably did the trick. Sometimes it's what's left unsaid that means the most.

You are always so sensitive to others. I love that about you :-)