Saturday, February 25, 2006

Cleaning Out

Lately I have been cleaning out. I'm trying to keep only the things that I love or that are used often in our home. In pursuit of trying to be more servant minded (see previous blogs), I've decided everyday to ask my husband if I can help him with anything or if there is something he would like me to do. I winced the first time I asked expecting to hear a list. But the only thing he asked was that I work our room (especially the closet). Closet done. Check!

The next day I asked the same question. I think he was still in shock that the thing he'd asked actually got done. So he said just to work on cleaning out our room (especially under the desk). So that day, I cleaned out under our desk. There were boxes and baskets under there with stuff thrown in. It really didn't take me more than thirty minutes to get it all cleared out and put away. Why have I been procrastinating that? Under desk. Check!

On and on throughout the week, I asked him every day if there was anything I could do for him and every day it was the same room. I had to laugh to myself because I am always trying to keep the front rooms tidy in case company comes by. But here my sweet husband was wishing the bedroom would be cleared out and that was my dumping ground! No wonder the poor guy didn't rest well.

Bit by bit our room has come together. I still have the top of the desk to clear out and drawers to go through but I think soon this room is going to be in tip top shape! I'll have to say, it makes me feel lighter already. Flylady (I know I keep talking about her, but I can't help it, I love her approach!) has taught me how to do it in little steps at a time so it doesn't take me all day to do the task because I'm not one of those born organized people.

Ironically, the rest of the house has started shaping up too. It's like once I got on a de-cluttering roll, I wanted to de-clutter everywhere! On Little Mister's favorite show, Bob the Builder, they have the slogan, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle"! I've heard it so many times maybe it's actually sinking into my subconscious. ;)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Very kind that you asked hubby what he would like for you to do -- and very funny (and typical of my house, as well) that his answer wasn't at all what (or where) you thought it would be. You are inspiring me! Keep up the "little by little" cleaning!

heartsjoy said...

I agree with Sarah, you are inspiring me too!! I am so proud of you for asking (even with the wincing). Keep up the good work and thanks for inspiring us!! :)

LiteratureLover said...

Inspiring? Wow!

But please keep in mind that my house is still a work-in-progress not a work of art. (Yet!)

SuperMom said...

(singing) Bob the Builder, Can we fix it?, Bob the Builder, Yes we can!
Sorry. You mentioned it and now I can't get the song out of my head!!

Girl, you are an inspiration. You always challenge me (without being challenging) to not just listen for God's voice, but act on what He is saying. I'm so proud of you :)