Sunday, February 19, 2006

Growing Up Is Hard To Do

This week I've been doing some major growing up. Two significant things happened that made me feel those growing pains.

FIRST: I had THE talk with my eldest daughter. I have been praying about this for awhile. I had planned to tell her on Monday but I just didn't feel ready. Then Valentine's Day was Tuesday and I didn't really want to do it then. I was procrastinating. It was something I had been dreading because I was being a perfectionist about it. Wanting to say the "perfect" things and such. So when it actually happened it took me by surprise. She asked if we could have some alone talk time (which she asks quite regularly). So we snuggled together and started talking. Before long she was asking more questions. I prayed a silent prayer and took the jump. In spite of my fears, it turned out to be a sweet mother and daughter time that we will probably treasure for the rest of our lives.

SECOND: I have come to the realization that I do NOT like to serve. Yep! That's right. I do NOT like it. And what did I read in the Bible OVER and OVER this week? Uh-huh. In a nutshell, to follow Christ I must be willing to give up my life and be willing to serve. Whaaa!!!!!!! I don't want to.

And yet I do want to. So I decided it was time to grow up. Throughout the next few days when I didn't want to serve, I did it anyway. It was so difficult in moments but something strange began to happen. Quabbles began to cease, laughter entered and everyone felt loved. Weirdly enough, I felt loved too. I guess God does know what He's talking about. Still, growing up is hard to do.

6 comments:

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Wasn't it just yesterday when we had these babies?? Now we're having THE talk. Waaaah.

LiteratureLover said...

Yeah, waaaaah.

heather said...

I am glad your "talk" went well, She seems pretty easy to talk too.

Glad to have you back in the blogging community, it was a quiet few days ;)

Carrabba's may be hiring, you could learn a thing or two about serving there. You still wouldn't like it though :0

I have two jackets that I think your eldest would like, good spring jackets. Let me know if she could use them. I love them but I just do not have the body of an 11 year old anymore, go "figure."

LiteratureLover said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

HB - She always loves getting clothes. Bring 'em on!

janiners said...

You know, that's definitely something I missed out on with my mom - The Talk. I think this was for many reasons, but it doesn't really matter now. LL, I'm so glad you and your Little Miss got to have that talk together and I'm sure (knowing the both of you) that it WILL be a precious memory. I'm glad YOU were the one to share all of those things with her instead of someone else. What a blessing!

I am so humbled and encouraged by what God is teaching you about serving. My problem with serving is that I long to be recognized and appreciated and that doesn't always happen. Waaaah. :-) (Yeah, it's not all about me.) I've learned a lesson or two just from watching my husband's example because he is not one to seek recognition and would just as soon remain behind-the-scenes as be in the spotlight. Although I can be pretty overanalytical, I think a lot about what my motives are for doing something and will ask God to purify or perfect those motives for His purpose rather than my own..... By the way, I'm still learning this lesson.

heartsjoy said...

Waaaahh. Our first little girl!! I called just after "THE talk" and she used those very words. I ask "Hey, whatcha doing?" "Well, my Mom and I just had THE talk"
I about flipped out!! In my head "WHAT?!! she is WAy to young for this kind of talk!" Oh, it hit me about like when you told me she didn't have many of her toys anymore....whaaaa....she is so creative, I love seeing her talents and new fun things that she enjoys! p.s. I'm proud of you seeking service, that is really hard to do!
Janiners, I relate to alot of what you said.