Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Word Picture (Part 1)

Today my son refused to give kisses to my eldest daughter. This has started becoming a common thing. I think he sees it as a game even though I've talked to him about hurting her feelings. My parents had recommended giving him a word picture. How would he feel if I didn't kiss him or want him to kiss me? Well, I asked him that question again today to which he said (as he usually does), "I wouldn't care. I would just go play." Usually that is when I start emploring him to think about it but today I decided to do something different.

I said, "Well, if you wouldn't care, then I think we'll do an experiment today. I won't kiss you or let you kiss me for the rest of today." He exploded into tears. I pulled him close to me and asked him why he was crying. He said, "That means you won't tuck me in tonight." I told him that I would still tuck him in but that we just wouldn't kiss. He stopped crying but seemed to be thinking about all this. I told him that I loved him but that I wanted him to see how his actions make Little Miss feel.

So we parted and went on about our day. I was doing our Read Aloud and we were all snuggling. He looked at me after we were finished and I could tell that he wanted to lean over for a kiss but knew that he couldn't. I smiled at him and kept busy. He sat for a few minutes and it seemed that he was really contemplating it. I am hoping that this day will help him be compassionate. I don't believe that anyone should be forced to give affection but I do believe they should understand how withholding it can hurt someone. I hope he's "getting" it because frankly, I think this experiment is harder on Mommy than it is on him!

4 comments:

janiners said...

awwwww! it's enough to make my heart melt. i hope he grabs a hold of this idea, as well, for everyone's sake. :-) hang in there!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

I think you have lots of good ideas when it comes to mothering. Surely he'll see the light.

heather said...

no sweet, smelly boy kisses?! definately harder on mommy!

glad to read there is progress! what will the title of your book be?
"How to Create Clever Little Scenarios to Subtly Manipulate Your Children into Compassionate People."

hehe ;)

heartsjoy said...

I agree with TOFTG, you have some amazing ideas for mothering. I think that was a neat way to get to his heart through a real word picture!