Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Drawing School

Well, my drawing school continues. I have been learning so much from the book I'm reading. In fact, while I was doing some of the lessons my eldest daughter came in and looked at my work. She said it was exactly what her art teacher had taught her. The more we talked we discovered that she's been going through these same lessons. She's ahead of me but it was fun "talking art".

I have been so consumed with drawing that I've been letting the Art of Homemaking go to the wayside. So last night I tided up and it felt good. I decided that I want to have art supplies in the kitchen but I also want the ability to put them out of sight. So I began cleaning out the cabinets to make room. Some of my cabinets were orderly but some were just a jumbled mess. My spice cabinets were pathetic. When I started sorting the spices I realized that I'd bought doubles because I couldn't see what I had. So I took them out, sorted them and stored them alphabetically in three different plastic shoe boxes. Yes, I had THAT many! No wonder that cabinet is always in shambles. I de-cluttered my baking dishes. I still have quite a few but I whittled down a lot. Then I attacked my plastic dishes with lids. Man, those can get out of control in a HURRY! I got rid of half of them because they didn't have lids or were damaged in some way. It was nice to get so much cleared out. Now I have a cabinet by my little desk that is cleared out and ready to put my art supplies in.

I started clipping "ideas" from magazines last night of things to sketch and put them in a little box. Maybe someday I'll have files of things to choose from, but for now my little box will do. Well, I need to go. My children seem to be dragging their feet this morning. I think we've been on spelling words for forty minutes! :) I need to get the fire going under their tushies. We've still got math and history to go!

3 comments:

heartsjoy said...

Ohhhh, that feels so good! I am So proud of you! You have inspired our whole family with the sketches. Today during table time I was overseeing school but I sat down and started scetching. They knew immediately what I was doing (since I showed them your work). They told me I was doing good and keep practicing and I would get like Aunt C. I got so tickled and had to share with you. Your sketches are so beautiful and inspiring. Son then asked if we could all go outside and sketch some things...his own idea...we did and it was fun. I thought that was neat that you and daughter were going through the same thing...how cool! She probably enjoyed that as well!

SuperMom said...

You are amazing. I have been letting my housekeeping go, too, but only because I have been a lazy bum. I'm trying to get back into the groove, though. Seems like I have the hardest time just doing really well. I am great for a week or so and then all of a sudden I am Sloppy Slobmeister again. What's up with that?

I can't wait to see your latest creations! It really makes me want to do it again, but seems like there is always something that needs to come first. Of course, at that rate, I'll never get back to it. I think it's great that you make the time to do it during the course of your day. I read an article about homeschooling the other day that said something about how we need to bring the kids into our day, not our day revolve around them. That really hit home for me. When I do that, we can all sketch! That's it!! Tomorrow we all sketch!!!!

LiteratureLover said...

You two crack me up. HJ-Yeah, keep practicing and you might get up to my status. Laughing. I think it's awesome that he wanted to take sketching outside. SM - Slobby Slobmeister? That is so funny! I agree about bringing the kids into your day. They can learn so much just by the everyday things we do! Let me know how the "sketch day" goes.