Friday, March 10, 2006

Grocery Marathon

Today I did a grocery marathon. I have company coming and they will probably want to eat while they're here. :) I had some great coupons from some of the big price stores. So I mapped out my plan and took off.

First stop: 10 lbs of lean hamburger meat for $1.46/lb; green beans, corn and creamed corn for $.25/ea. Ahead of schedule, I zoomed to second store. (Fortunately, these stores are not too far apart!)

Second stop: Milk for $.88/gallon; Capri-Sun individual juices 10/$1; 2 lbs. of Baked Chicken Tenders for $6; and large Gatarade for $.88. Long line delayed me but my car was in a close parking spot.

Final stop: Aldie's -my favorite store! My grocery cart was more than overflowing. I was having to hold some of the stuff on board. I bought almost a month's worth of groceries for a family of five and still had $50 left in my grocery budget!!! (See why I LOVE that store? That's enough money for two boxes of Angel Food!) I was feeling gleeful inside but the people behind me were getting impatient. It took me about fifteen minutes to sack it all because I didn't have my helping hands. Got home. My helping hands rushed out to meet me and exclaim over all the food. They were glad that we weren't low on everything now. Meaning: bread, cereal or milk. Thankfully, the toilet paper was holding out. Everyone was hungry. I told them that work came before food. Groceries were put away quickly and we all enjoyed the chicken tenders.

Tomorrow's journey: Bake and cook till the freezer's full; and clean until my house is shiney! Stay tuned to find out how Banana Bread turns out...

5 comments:

SuperMom said...

AMAZING!!!! You are my hero :-) I'll be right over, as soon as all the cooking is done ;-)

Poppa is right about Wal-Mart honoring ads. They won't honor other store's coupons, though.

heather said...

MAN! How awesome are you?! You and SuperMom are such great examples of patience and persistance. What would I have ever done without you guys?

LiteratureLover said...

Yes, Wal-Mart is great about honoring other ads but these were in-store coupons.

Poppa, that chocolate sheet cake DOES sound good.

janiners said...

I think I need to make some time to do grocery shopping more efficiently. I barely clip coupons, compare prices, or anything. I know - bad girl! I could certainly take some ideas from you! :-)

heartsjoy said...

WHAT A WOMAN!!! And boy did we enjoy the fruit of this womans labor! She had everything looking so beautiful, yummy food prepared and planned meals for all occasions as well as fun activities! I am so impressed with you sis! AND appreciate all your hard work for us! I am taking notes and learning...Thank yOu~