Thursday, March 23, 2006

Loosing Perfection

Lately I have been learning how to let go of my perfectionism. Now, I'm not one of those perfectionists who does everything perfect. No, I'm the one who fears doing anything because I can't do it perfect. Flylady has been teaching me how to overcome that in homemaking. As she says, "Housework done incorrectly still blesses the house."

There are so many things that I long to do but don't because I don't know how. Translation: I'm afraid I'll do it wrong. I'm a homeschool teacher right? So you would think that it would have occured to me that sometimes the only way to learn something is to jump in and do it! Like when I'm teaching my kids how to bake something. I could tell them everything I do, let them read about it in a book and even taste the finished treat. But the best way to teach them how to do it is to let them do it.

I was fearful of writing, but this blog has been my stepping stone for overcoming that. I've also been longing to sketch. And seeing Stephanie (she's also here) just put it out there for everyone to see has been so inspiring (I hope you don't mind that I keep referring to you). It made me realize that my perfectionism is once again holding me back. So, last night as I ran to the store for some milk, I bought myself some tracing paper (to learn from other drawings) and a sketch book. After my kids went to bed I sat down and began tracing anything and everything. Then I started sketching free-hand. It was so exillerating! I felt free. At one point I thought to myself, oh, I probably shouldn't sketch anymore on this page, it's getting full. What?! What difference does it make? I'm free from being perfect! So I continued adding more to that page just to prove to myself that it didn't have to be perfectly spaced. (And for those who know my graphing fettish, this is huge!)

And do you know what happened? My kids came in this morning, saw my drawings and immediately wanted some paper to draw on. They drew without hestitation. I smiled and felt this overwhelming relief. They are not yet thorted with perfectionism. And maybe, by some miracle, they never will be.

5 comments:

ste-pha-nie said...

Opens the mind to another way of considering "become like little children..."

We can learn a lot from each other. Children have no problem with imperfection - their sense of judgement is still pure. My son was 4 when he asked me, "what if the alphabet began with the letter B?"
Exactly.

I'm here also.

LiteratureLover said...

Thanks! I will enjoy reading that as well.

SuperMom said...

WAY TO GO, GIRLFRIEND!!! Keep it up. I can't wait to see what you've done! (you are going to show me, aren't you? ;-)

LiteratureLover said...

Sure!

janiners said...

that is really so great! that's kind of how I feel about writing. i don't consider myself much of a visual artist, but I love to look at art and ponder! i hope you will share your drawings with us!