Thursday, January 26, 2006

Desert Test

Man, I feel like the Israelites in the desert of testing! Lately, God has been calling me to give up all my idols (addictions) and truly follow Him. He leaves it in my court to follow or not, and I have begun the act of submitting. But it's HARD!!! In all of my struggles with my will I have uncovered something more than just obeying. I have found that I need God and His strength! Sounds simple I know, but it's huge. You know that verse in I Corinthians 10:13 that says, "But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it."

That last part has been my saving grace! Maybe I'm not supposed to take this verse literally but I do. God seems to do the funniest things to get my attention. A bowl breaks at just the moment I was about to give in to something I shouldn't. My child needs me. The computer shuts down. On and on I could go and probably without giving the specifics, it's not as great a story to you. But to me, it's miraculous and I'm overcome with His love. Please pray that I can withstand the testing and overcome. I am longing to but I'm so scared because my secret life will be so different. I want to trust that He will be far greater than any "high" I could get from any of my addictions. I can take hope in the fact that He died so that I could die to my sins.

I Peter 2:21 - 24 "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth. When they hurled insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness..."

3 comments:

heartsjoy said...

Thanks sis, I needed to hear this! I think you are an avenue God is using to convict me! I am glad He is working in you and giving you strength even though it is hard!

LiteratureLover said...

Your welcome. I'm glad it helped.

SuperMom said...

I'm praying for you, my friend. I love you!