Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Giving Up

Tomorrow morning we are going to the orthodonist to have Little Lady fitted for an expander. Her expander will also have a thumbguard to help her completely overcome her nighttime habit. She has been somewhat emotional about this. So, I decided that since my little girl is going to have to go through giving something up that I should go through it with her. I have had a nailbiting habit for about thirty years (honestly, I can't remember when it began). But I told her that since she is going to have to give up her thumb that I will give up my nailbiting so that I can understand what she's going through. We can tackle surrendering our habits together.

I announced this at the supper table tonight. Then asked everyone if they would like to give up something temporarily (for two weeks) to walk through it with Little Lady. When I asked Little Mister what he might like to give up he wasn't sure. So I moved on to Little Miss to see what she would like to give up. She suggested school. I said, "Not!" And Daddy said that he once new a boy that went stupid in two weeks. We laughed about that for a minute. Then my little Mister piped up that he had decided on what to give up. I asked him,"What?" He said, "You!" Making Daddy almost choke on his food laughing. Glare. Little Mister quickly recovered by saying, "Just kidding". He'd actually decided on a car. Good choice.

8 comments:

heartsjoy said...

Sweet sentimental little lady. I empathize with her. Even bad habits are hard to say goodbye to when they have seemed to be your friend. But I know you guys can do it!! Whoo hoo! Free from those bad habits and on to good ones! I probably have a list I could add to give up!
I loved your story of the supper table. I thought the going stupid in 2 weeks was so funny but the most funny has to go to little mister! He is a HOOT!!

SuperMom said...

Oh, man...I feel for that sweet girl. Here's hoping it goes smoother than expected. I marvel at your compassion. You say mercy isn't one of your gifts, but you are so empathetic. It would never have crossed my mind to walk through that with my children. I learn so much from you, my friend! Tell Little Lady I am proud of her for being so brave. And I am so very proud of you, too. I used to bite my nails, too :-)

janiners said...

your family is great! i really enjoy seeing how your faith plays itself out in these ordinary moments. i know we will all be thinking of her and you both over the next few weeks as you share this experience together. :-)

the guys truly crack me up! :-)

heather said...

haha!! as if he could survive without his all knowing, all providing mommy!

btw, if its helps any, i sucked my thumb well into 5th grade (go ahead, laugh). however, after getting some crazy pokey device installed into my head i was able to break the habit! it was very difficult though.

LiteratureLover said...

Thank you all for the sympathy for Little Lady. The fitting went good. She gets the device in next week.

HB- Actually, that makes me feel MUCH better. Maybe you can help us walk through this. (And I love your comment about how he could not survive without Me! ;)

Kyle said...

This is a new reality show coming to UPN, right?

LiteratureLover said...

Right!

LiteratureLover said...

Right!