Thursday, January 26, 2006

Expander

Today Little Lady got her expander. The thing is huge! I guess because of the extra thumb guard it really seems large. She did really well while they put it in. We took Rose (her baby doll) to squeeze for extra comfort. Rose and Little Lady did great! She is not eating very much because it takes a while to get used to that thing at the roof of your mouth. Big sister is helping her know how to do it and told her that she didn't eat much those first days either. Tonight is going to be the hardest test. I can tell Little Lady's already dreading it. She keeps asking me how many hours before bedtime. Last night was a tearful farewell to the thumbsucking but she actually woke up somewhat excited this morning. Before we went she said, "Mom, I'm kind of scared, kind of happy and kind of sad." I told her that was normal and that she would do fine. Pray for us!

7 comments:

heather said...

it will work much quicker than you think! i was sure that nothing could kick my habit, but sharp metal spikes have a way of deterring appendages..

heather said...

filanges?

LiteratureLover said...

I hope so!! If you have any ideas on how to make the transition smoother, please tell me!!!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Abbey was so old before she stopped sucking her thumb. It's so hard, isn't it?? Bless her heart.

heartsjoy said...

Aww, sweet little girl. I am praying for her. I am so wondering how last night went! Keep us posted!

heather said...

i think you'll find the transition happens on its own. i know i was the kid in the situation, do i don't know how hard it was on my parents. but i DO remember once i had the "thing" taken out of my mouth, i was surprised at myself: i din't need to or even want to suck my thumb! finding a replacement will help, mine was a blankie that i still have! but it is good that you are taking care of this now because it really will reshape a child's mouth. i'm lucky so far that my son hasn't started with his thumb!

LiteratureLover said...

hb and tofthg: I'm glad to hear that others overcame it. Little Lady always had a blankie that she held while she sucked her thumb so that is still her companion now (without the thumb). It is encouraging to know she will be past all of this when the gadget is taken off. Now if they only had a fingernail guard...