Saturday, December 03, 2005

Family

I love my family. I admit that I'm a homebody and love to be at home. My husband is one of those people who gets energized being with people. I'm one of those that gets energized by having time alone. Ironic huh? God does have his mysterious ways.

My eldest daughter, Little Miss, is a mix of both of us. While she is usually ready to hit the road anytime we're going anywhere she is also the first one to want to get back if we've been away a while. She is brilliant in her creativity. She can instantly come up with a game for younger children out of a tiled kitchen floor and napkins! Her greatest wish for her 11th birthday is that we would grant her permission to babysit. She loves little children and has a knack for keeping them happy (my friends want to steal her). She is constantly learning and making. She's even been helping me knit since she's been knitting for about a year ahead of me. Little Miss likes to live by the rules (I don't know where she gets that). Even at the age of five years old, if we started to back out of the garage without having her seatbelt buckled she would yell at the top of her lungs, "I'M NOT BUCKLED!" She still wants justice and fights hard if she deems a rule unfair. We are becoming closer at her ripe age of 10 and yet struggle at times while she tries to find her independence. It's hard to see my baby growing up. I measured her height today and she's as tall as my eyebrows. Talk about a wake up call, Yikes!

My second born daughter, Little Lady, is eight years old. The title, Little Lady, fits her well because she loves dresses and frills. Her box of dress-up clothes is buldging and yet she looks admiringly at the new ones everytime we're at the store. She is fascinated with little things. She loves Polly Pockets because they are tiny and she enjoys making furniture out of tiny objects around the house. She has a knack for balancing items. When she was eighteen months old I found her balancing her bowl onto the top of her cup while sitting in her highchair. I still find things myseriously balancing in place throughout the house. I consider it a signature that she's been there. She is also an amazing gymnist. When she was a baby people asked me if she had her arms put on backwards because she could hold them so far back and just sit like that forever. She cartwheels her way around the house. One Sunday while I was singing on stage I looked down to see her gangly legs standing straight up in the pew. She was doing a head stand right in the middle of worship. I began to panic but then I had to stifle a giggle. Smiles spread throughout the crowd while Little Lady was oblivious. Well, perhaps God doesn't mind us singing upside down.

Last, but not least, is Little Mister. He is five years old. Talk about quick! He can be a ball of energy just whizzing through the house. He loves playing sports of any kind but especially looks forward to when Daddy comes home everyday. Daddy hardly makes it through the door before Little Mister is asking to wrestle. As soon as Daddy puts away his things the wrestling session begins. I just try to stay out of the way so as not to get hurt. But energized as he is, he can just as quickly settle down for a nice book and a snuggle with Mommy. He loves to draw and color. He keeps all his treasured pictures in an ever-growing notebook which he willingly shows to everyone who comes to visit.
He has had to learn to hold his own with two older sisters bossing him around. One Sunday evening, we had an outside speaker come who was ministering in a third world country and sharing with us from his heart. It had been a wonderful service and he was finishing up by explaining what we could pray for. He had moved into the first few pews to be closer to us while speaking with the communion table behind him. Children's class let out early and the children came into the auditorium to find us. Little Lady made it in first and sat on Daddy's lap. Then she saw Little Mister coming around front to make his way to us and decided she should help him. Before we could stop her, Little Lady was behind the communion table grabbing Little Mister's arm to bring him to us. Little Mister in turn threw a punch and they began duking it out behind the communion table. I began to sink a bit deeper into the pew. Daddy quickly got up to play referee and brought the team back to the bench.

Perhaps you can see why I love to be home. I have four very special reasons and because of them, life is never boring.

3 comments:

heartsjoy said...

Laughing hard, I will never tire of that story! I LOVED your descriptions of all your beloved little ones! They are true Treasures!! As are you!

SuperMom said...

WOW!! How did I miss the story of Little Lady STANDING ON HER HEAD IN CHURCH????!!!!! That's HYSTERICAL!!!!! Yup, she's a gymnast all right. You've got a sweet bunch :-)

janiners said...

wow! I remember that day! I remember looking at Laura, who was beside me, and our eyes were so big. We could hardly keep from laughing right at the beginning of the communion time. I don't think they even realized they had become the center of attention. by the way, glad to have you here in the blogging world, minister's wife. :-):-)