Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Happiness vs. Holiness

As the Christmas season draws to a close, I am reminded of how much our society (including me) is consumed with being happy. Based on my title, does happiness have to be opposite of holiness? No.

Holy. That is such an allusive word. Most people think of a pious religious person when they think of holy. Unfortunately that word is pride. Holy, is making God bigger to the world. He is huge already. I don't mean we actually help HIM. I mean, like when you open a door and the light shines in. The wider the door is opened the more the light comes in. That's what I'm talking about. Holiness is us opening the door for the world to see His greatness. Being a door opener, I should not do it with a flourish like a Vanna White. Thinking of myself as the "Great Door Opener". No, the greatness is behind the door.

So what does that look like in real life? I can't say for you what that looks like, but I can tell you what I think it is for me. Being a stay-at-home Mom, I think that I make God bigger through my family.
* Enjoying each other and laughing together.
* Children being taught to:
Include younger children in their play.
Obey out of love without complaining or arguing.
Be considerate other people's property (even if it is just a gum wrapper).
Have self-initiative - see what needs to be done and do it before being told.
* As a family, honor each other in the way we speak and in serving:
Pick up those items that I didn't get out.
Put away the laundry even if it's not your chore.
Do fun suprises for each other.
Greet each other warmly.
Be kind, compassionate and grateful to others.

Now, am I saying that's what we are? No! It is a process. I don't want it to be out of duty but out of love. Yes, there are such times that restraint is needed even when we don't want to do it. Such as keeping our mouth shut when we'd like to let the swear words rip; holding back the fist when our sisters boss us for the millionth time; sitting down and being quiet when we'd like to run and play. Self control is never easy but essential in loving ourselves, our family, God and others.

Now, in contrast, if my only concern is being happy then I'm only a step away from being selfish. If happiness is the main thing, then my children could do whatever they want if it makes them happy. It wouldn't matter how it affects others. I could spend all day on the computer, nevermind that the house is a wreck. My husband could go out every night with friends, who cares that the family wouldn't see him. It's about being happy, right?

This is the difference that I see between living for holiness and living for happiness. And because I am a follower of Jesus, I believe that the paradox is that I will find true happiness in the midst of pursuing Him. Holiness is happiness.

3 comments:

SuperMom said...

Beautifully said...and convicting, too. I love your analogy of the Light/Door and the Door Opener. You always help me remember my ministry at home...the one I neglect most often, and should make the most important. I sometimes feel I need to be off chasing people down in the street, when I have three little wide-open hearts that need to see God right here at home. Thanks for the reminder...again :-) Love you!!

heartsjoy said...

I also loved the door opener description...beautiful! What wonderful goals to look to and what incredible ones to share with. Thank you for reminding and encouraging us!

janiners said...

i also like the picture of a door opener. it reminds me of a song.
:-) As Christ has opened our doorway to God, so should we, by our lives open the door to Christ and thus, direct others to God. I am hearing a resounding theme amongst most of our blogs - the desire to be like God and to learn to love like He does. I pray that God will fulfill the desire of our hearts as we follow passionately after Him, drawing all people to Himself! Praise God for the Savior born to rescue the world!