Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Santa Slip-Ups (Spoiler Inside Do NOT Let Children Read)

Our Christmas Eve started out as I planned it. We spent the evening with my Dad's side of the family. We came home and put our pajamas on. My Dad read the Christmas story and we all shared what we most liked about Christmas. Then we sang Christmas carols by candlelight. It was picture perfect until the candle wax began to bleed through all the little papers. Little Mister was the first to howl because it burned his hand. So everyone quickly blew out their candle only to find wax on our clothes. So much for picture perfect.

After that, Little Lady pulled me aside to tell me that she knew I was Santa. I wasn't sure if she was testing me or really meant it so I just smiled. "Mommy, tell me! You're Santa, aren't you?" I just kept smiling and told her to get to bed. "After all, you don't want to be awake when Santa comes, do you?" She gave a frustrated grunt and then hurried to bed. ;)

We tucked the kids all snug in their beds and began to prepare the gifts for morning. That's when we realized it. One key bag of gifts was missing! It was two hours away in Tulsa. There were NO stocking stuffers or big gifts to be had. Yikes! To say the least, I was stressing. My Mother, being the organized guru that she is, just happened to remember a bag she had tucked away full of little toys. Whew! One problem was solved. Then we switched out gifts to have some big ones for the kids. Finally, we were finished with the rescue mission. I think after that fiasco we all slept soundly only to be awakened at the crack of dawn by excited kids wanting us to wake up!

Maybe Christmas has become more commercial to me that it should be. I love how my children's eyes light up with new gifts. But I hope I'm portraying just as much excitement about the birth of the Messiah.

No comments: